Monday, March 17, 2008

First part sourced : the body. Plus some ideas.

Now to tell the truth I'd stumbled across this part-made body on eBay a few days ago and admired it. I'm not normally a fan of the Explorer body shape but the excellent spalted maple top on this one caught my eye.



When I checked back the auction was finished but it had been re-listed at a reduced price : £40 + £8 shipping. Click. Done. What have I let myself in for ? :-)

But what to do with it ? Well, clearly there are no routes for pickups or the neck, and all the drilling needs to be done. Which is more than a little daunting for a mna who owns no more than the odd screwdriver and an electric drill. Still - I've got a month to sort this out. Ample time . . . right ?

Now if memory serves me right I have a pair of gold-covered humbuckers removed from an old Epiphone, as well as the pots, wiring, bridge and tailpiece from that guitar. With an oiled or clear finish this spalted beast might just pull off the bling look with that gold hardware.

So parts-wise what does that leave me needing ?
  • A neck (!)
  • Tuners
  • Knobs
  • Strap buttons
  • Laquer or Oil
  • Jack socket
  • And access to a router and/or pillar drill











1 comment:

frankus said...

I've got a whole tub of tung oil if that's okay for the body.. It's good stuff.. have a read and get back if you want ;)